View Single Post
      10-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #9
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Just did this on my 2012 X5 35d..

Bought the car on Saturday and something was off, the car wasn't fluid, I found myself making extra effort to outsmart what I thought the trans was about to do and preemptively adjusted the throttle to smooth progress and shifting.

Before: Trans was dim witted and slow to respond, big lag when tipping in, particularly scary when changing lanes at a crawling pace and trying to get up and go. Coming to a stop there was the feeling of being dragged slower without touching the brakes, like it wouldn't freewheel and downshifted early creating a slight tug. Pulling away then lifting the throttle, eg. to make a turn, would immediately shift to second, with a delay to rethink and downshift again when straightening out and getting on it. When cruising it resisted downshifting when accelerating unless generous throttle was applied. I found myself flooring it frequently to get the right gear. In a nutshell, something was off..

Reset: Put key in ignition, foot off brake, turn ignition on, depress throttle down to kickdown switch and hold for 25 second. Then start car and drive away.

After: So much punch, appears to require less revs on pullaway (don't know how that makes sense), quicker and more intelligent shift pattern, ability to drive the gear selection with modest throttle inputs and lifts. That split second improvement in response has made the car feel so much more sprightly. It just wants to attack the road and fly. Coasting to a stop is smooth with no tugging.

Tomorrow's commute will be a true test.

Happy camper. I can sleep well tonight :-)
2005 Toyota 4Runner 4WD Sport Edition Silver

Last edited by WULFFZA; 10-21-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0