View Single Post
      12-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
troymi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Convertible

E70 Thoughts, F15 Weeklong Drive, Macan in the Wild

So, to ramble on a bit: I took our E70 M Sport 35 with 11k miles into service. No big issues, just needed a flash and swapped winter tires and wheels out (469M are now winters!). I ended up with a '15 X5 base F15 for a weeklong drive. I guess they wanted to sell it.

Wow, is the F15 (at least that one) a piece of sh*t. At least in my opinion, compared to my X5, for that week. The only redeeming thing I found was the option to move to "sport" mode versus "comfort" or "eco pro." Much has been made of the steering. I was dubious it could be that bad. I found the light touch around town ok. I moved to "sport" and it was a little better. Until I was actually forced to drive as opposed to park in a spot. The inability to modulate the steering was strange, then disconserting. Then a little scary. The steering input would move, then at high speed the wheel actually seems to push against what you're trying to do do simulate resistance. I was on a freeway, at 80 mph in a long curve and seriously the wheel literally decided that I needed to push it harder and applied negative resistance to where I wanted to go. I don't know what my face looked like, but I know I did not like the feeling that I wasn't going to make a curve at 80.

The iDrive and dash washed out in bright sunlight. Other than that, they are ok. Not great. The styling is not my taste, so I'll say horrible. Again, I had a base model. They put the strut back in the rear floor storage; yeah! Side view mirrors are almost worthless they are so small. Cruise control off the stick and put on the wheel is cheap and minivan like. Cost cutting all over the place. Not as quiet as it should be. Anyone notice they changed to PGW (used to be PPG) glass? Not insulated as well for sure; probably thinner. Wiper system and washers were not doing well on this example. After 4k miles on this one, it rattled a lot more than I would expect. Seat to steering wheel didn't seem to line up where I ever got comfortable.

Then I got back in our X5. Looks, feels, and drives like it should. Exhaust is right (at least on ours, in my opinion). Seats (Multi countour) felt like gloves and it wanted to be driven instead of taking me to another place.

Saw a Porsche Macan S today in the parking lot. Thought it was a Q5 at first. Go figure. Do NOT see the attraction to the style. Performance? Yes. The turbos I saw at the auto show looked incredible. Maybe it was the lights. Don't think I'd even consider it personally.

A few minutes of blab before the holidays. Merry Christmas or other applicable holiday to all! It's been a fun year on the forum.
Appreciate 0