04-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #19
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z@T View Post
Why would anyone buy all season tires for a car more worth than a grand? I understand the point of saving summer or winter tires but when someone can afford an X5, this should not be an option in my opinion.
All season are bad in winter and summer. Road noise, bad grip and the live time should be shorter too.

I might will learn something but so far I get a smile in my face when I see all season tires in Florida. (Actually very often, 'Murcia)
I live in central Texas and don't want to:

Not be able to drive my car the few days a year that there's not-so-good weather conditions where I should be able to drive my 4WD car (my only car).
-or-
Have to change my tires out at a moments notice because it was 70 degrees yesterday and snowing/sleeting/(whatever) today.

Central Texas is truly all season in the winter. Deciduous trees and flowers may not look like it, but the weather certainly does. (For instance, last December ran a high of 85 to a low of 27, January 80->22 with rain, freezing rain, sleet, snow, hail, and sunburn mixed in there).

The crossover point for all-season tires to winter tire effectiveness is 41 degrees Fahrenheit. So what would you do given central Texas conditions? Change out for day and night? Even/Odd days?
Appreciate 0