01-22-2018, 10:30 PM   #72
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
with this way installation have some serious disadvantages even if i dont want to spoil your mood..

1. its so easy to make those filters wet.. in a rainy day.. or car wash %100 make those filters wet.. i guess no need to tell the possible consequences..
2. cooling.. winter time it may affect less but in summer time while pushing a bit it ll be so easy to exceed optimal temperatures for the engine with such high pressured V8.. for able to squeeze 550hp im sure that turbos kick at least 1.0bar of pressure.. it means things can go bad easy if not everything is set right.. like Dinans etc.. not blocking the radiator and its not exposed completely.. in any CAI systems that why they make corners etc to keep water away.. except track cars..
I live in Seattle where it rains 9+ months outta the year, so seeing I've had ZERO issues water ingestion, your point is moot. I've still got an E38 as well and $$Dinan$$ puts the filter right behind the passenger foglight on the M60/M62/S62 engines and I'm guessing many others as well...their solution is a water sock. I run water socks on filters, but my SUV kidneys are nowhere near as low to the ground as a foglight on most cars.

Unless the filter is completely submerged, this notion that engines are sucking enough water outta the air to hydrolock needs to die.
Appreciate 0