View Single Post
      03-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #86
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep
Drives: 12 AW E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
It all depends on the WAY that you drive. If you like & USE the pedal on the right often reving above 4K RPMs, you are probably going to average under 20MPG. If you live in a city and only commute 5 miles a day and average under 15MPH on that trip (lots of stop & go), you might also average under 20MPG. However, if your average speed is more "typical" and shows around 30MPH (or higher) it would mean that you have a good mix of city & highway driving and by not revving over 3K RPMs, you should be able to average more like 24MPG with a new diesel. If you drive almost exclusively on the interstate (e.g. avg MPH is above 45) then some are reporting getting up to 26MPG. There are some who "claim" to be getting 29 & 30 MPG on exclusively interstate trips on flat terrain but IMHO you can take those with a grain of salt as most of those posts appear to be people trying to "brag" and anytime you see that, you HAVE to be suspect. My recommendation is that you use something more common as a point of calculation (like 22MPG) as that appears to be a level that almost everybody can obtain on these vehicles (look on independent sites like Fuelly for their averages).

NDABUNKA couldn't describe it any better... i currently get those figures
Appreciate 0