View Single Post
      09-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #29
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Well the old X5 for starters.....when traction is poor it is rare that the DSC intervenes, so the truck's back end will kick out when throttle is applied. DSC should intervene and either brake the back wheels or cut engine power and it does neither most of the time. The suspension tuning and the quick throttle tip-in of the truck is always pretty sporty, so the rear wheels spin easily in poor traction situations.

xDrive as I know it in my E90 rarely uses DSC intervention as well, but since the torque distribution varies from 100% rear to 100% front (as opposed to a constant 60 rear 40 front), there is torque only where there is no wheelspin, so progress is alway smooth and straight.

I love driving my E90 in the snow, and I don't love driving my X5 in the snow, so you can imagine what it is like for my wife with the kids in the X5 when conditions are poor.....

I started a thread at X5world.com asking for people who have tried both systems the difference between the two, and apparently it is monumental.

Appreciate 0