07-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #66
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman
I just had my drive shaft tear out of my car at 70 mph on the freeway in rush hour traffic last night. Did the N63 recall last year and they inspected the drive shaft and assured me it was fine. I think I mentioned that in the N63 recall thread. I pressed hard for a replacement and had no luck (Bellevue BMW). Told them this was starting to happen quite frequently with what I was reading online and had a paper trail expressing my concerns and documenting they would take care of any damage if it were to go out in the future.

Well, my worst fears happened last night and it was pretty scary. I knew immediately what it was. One big clunk and then another and I then looked into my rear view mirror and watched the drive shaft doing cartwheels down I90. Cars were scattering everywhere I can't believe it didn't take out other cars. It could have been catastrophic for sure and I believe BMW would have been on the hook for all damage and injury as a result. Interestingly enough, the dealership was more concerned about that part of the story compared to the damage.

My SA was very cool about it and said not to worry about anything, it wouldn't cost me a dime. Very routine for them, mine was the 3rd X5 THIS WEEK and they have had several this month alone. They have all parts in stock if that is any indication. I checked out one the cars getting repaired to see what it entails. Definite oil pan and area damage, under carriage, transmission, and possibly engine. They have had to replace a few engines due to damage and mine was the first shaft that flew off the car. All others have stayed attached.

Now for the interesting part. This has gone from a service bulletin, to an extended warranty, to now I believe a full blown recall. I don't know if this recall is official yet, but the dealership really had their head between their legs last night when I came in. My car was in twice last year for repairs and I asked both times to replace the shaft and they couldn't per BMW HQ instructions. The whole gamble of replacing as they should vs. crossing their fingers with failures and which will end up costing more. It sounds now they have finally gotten smart and are going to recall and replace these shafts. Very idiotic not to due this in the first place as this failure on a freeway could easily cause fatalities. My SA felt very bad and seems very relieved that they are treating this more like a recall now as they are seeing way too many failures coming in right now.

I will go back in on Monday and press for replacement of ANYTHING in question. It seems at this point they will not fight me on anything, even if there is engine damage. Anything that got nicked I want a replacement on. I can't even imagine how much this repair will cost, especially if there is an engine involved. Was a bitch getting this off the truck. Car wouldn't start (lost all fluids) and couldn't get it into neutral due to the hydraulics not working. Had to put it on sliders and then dollies once off the truck to roll it away. Very sad sight. I am going to nitpick as much as possible on this repair. I warned them it wouldn't be a fun day if this drive shaft failed and that is exactly what happened. My SA remembers those conversations very well.

I would urge anyone with an affected model to get their shaft replaced ASAP. They are failing at a very high rate right now and the damage isn't pretty. My car is a 2011 50i M Sport with a 9/10 build date with 73k miles. I went back this morning and picked up my drive shaft on the side of the road. Looks like all of the other failures at the U joint.
Same thing happened to me and they don't want to cover under warranty they said its to much of a damage and won't cover the rest just drive shaft.
Can u please help me out with any information regarding to this matter thanks very much