01-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #43
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Ask & ye shall receive??

[B]
The Continuing Saga of The Achille's Heel of "The International Engine of The Year Award" Winner
There may be an extended warranty on the HPFP for the n54 of 10yr/120k miles on '07 & '08 models, if problems continually occur for affected owners.
So check w/ ur dealer if u have problem(s) with HPFP.
Service mgr. @ 1 of the local dealers confirm it's a relatively new policy for '07/'08 335i owners w/ n54 & is looking into whether x6 w/n54 is included.
Whether BMW will send out notices to owners of n54 is not known at this time in Canada at least.

My internet travels have uncovered a hypothetical cause for the frequent recurrence of HPFP problems:
It may be due to the low pressure fuel sensor in the fuel tank, particularly if the fuel tank is less than 1/4 full. The sloshing fuel is either physically damaging the components or the insufficient level of fuel to keep the components @ consistent operating temperature.
In any case, it's my guess that it is typical corporate culture bureaucratics to keep their mouth shut to the public for fear of having to do a massive recall as "No Death" has actually resulted from their "engineering" .

So for BMW: Don't Ask Don't Tell !
Otherwise it will be like an Olympic Gold Medalist admitting to doping!
The only casualty is their customers' patience & their tarnished "Engineering" reputation.

My advice is to keep at least 1/4 tank full of gas in cars w/ n54 engines.
Particularly for those who have had more than 1 HPFP replaced.
And hopefully the problem will not recur.
Would be interesting to have feed back from people who have had multiple hpfp swaps, 2 c if this hypothesis holds gas, thus keeping the issue at bay.!

Now onto the next reason for more "Engine Malfunction": TurboChargers.....

Last edited by archwerks; 01-22-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0