04-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnerg View Post
Anyone else experience a blank navigation screen when first turning on the car (early) in the morning? Feels like it might be temperature related, which is why I specify early. If leave the house between 5 and 6 am, the nav screen will be blank during that drive (even if I turn off the car and restart, several times, screen won't go on until the next time I drive), but if I first turn on the car at around 7 or later, the screen will start up normally. BMW dealer hasn't been able to figure it out; it's with them for the second time for this problem right now, over one week each time.

I'm searching here for a solution because we had a problem with a Prius that also only occurred first thing early in the morning. Toyota couldn't figure it out, either. I learned from a Forum that people on the east coast had had similar problems and the culprit was the water pump. I asked Toyota to check that, and they told me that both water pumps were on the verge of failing and that the car wasn't safe to drive until they were replaced.

So, any similar problems, or ideas?
Your car is probably still sleeping at this early hour and this is the cars polite way of telling you to go f*** off and let it sleep for another hour

I assume what you are describing is that the screen stays completely blank as in dark and does not even show that it has the back light on?

Or does the screen appear to be powered but no information shows up (it goes from black as in off to a dark gray without anything being displayed)?

If it's on but doesn't show anything, try removing the navigation DVD from the drive and start the car. The screen usually gets turned on AFTER the computer started reading the DVD disc. In cold weather, the drive may have issues calibrating the laser/optics on the disc and hence it will either not turn the screen at all or it may take a VERY long time before anything shows up.

Another issue could be that due to cold weather (and especially with high humidity), the CCFL back light power supply may not be able to start up properly and hence it appears that the display stays dark. The iDrive may actually display information on the screen, but since there is no light you can't really see it. You may be able to read it if you look at the screen from an angle.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0