View Single Post
      08-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtractime View Post
Thanks for the reply! So then is there any advantage to getting the raised version (S7) where you have to buy the matching foot kit (extra cost) but have it sit farther away from the roof?

How bad is the noise with the sunroof closed and something mounted on the racks?

Debating whether to buy a cheaper OEM crossbar set or spend a little more for the Whispbar S46 or S7.
I went with Whispbar as they are a lower profile and way better looking (IMHO) than OEM. I live in a ski town and nothing, again IMHO, spoils the look of the X5 more than a rack that sits high off of the roof, it just looks weird. I see all types of racks here, and the X5 is a fairly common vehicle in my town. Also, what is the actual need for that extra height? It serves no purpose at all. Additionally, it's tough, even with the Whispbar to place items on the rack based on the height of the vehicle, so do yourself a favor and get the low profile look for practicality and looks. With reference to the noise, there is some noise intrusion into the cabin with bikes, snowboards or ski's. I did find this Thule Roofbox to be virtually silent (but costly): https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...-612-_-1680020

With reference to the Thule, I removed the Thule badges, and the colored cross bar was the virtually identical in color to my X5, together with the Whispbar it looked like the low profile solution that BMW should have offered in the first place.
Appreciate 0