skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
AJCohen...

STFA = search the forum archives. What were you thinking? If you were "going through threads also" surely you must have read about this known aerodynamic issue affecting all X5 M/M Package trucks. Its clear you lack comprehension because you still don't know what to do for your truck that you take possession next week. Trust the BMW dealership. And I am an ass, but not with my previous post buddy.

Its about time the moderators sticky this. .

SKalberti : Don't use dealers 3M. Get a pro to do a custom job, paying extra attention to the flares. The dealers pre-cuts don't cover the area thoroughly. Refer to posted pic with custom job and you'll be fine. Have your guy cut the flares so he can remove them if your roads are harsh and just replace in the future.

Hope you were not offended by Search The Forum Archives as noob AJCohen was but its apparent that you knew what STFA meant.

Do use 12-14 mil 3m (headlamp stuff) on the flares and doors because will rip up and sandblast the regular 8mil- which is why regular 3M fails and you read about it.

Thanks everyone for yor replies! No Northern I didn't get offended. Like you said I read alot of postings on this issue, but in the end with so many stories and reports I just didn't know what the best opton was. So what i need to do is go with the thicker 3M 14 mil at a custom shop, the same that is used on the headlights. Now you said that anything thinner will get sandblasted and ripped up, which I assume any tape you put on there will expierence the same, just the thicker will last longer. So when the tape does become dull and yellow, can it be removed and new applied? will the paint also be intact after the tape is reomved or will I need to do some touch up? Sorry for so many questions I just wanna make sure I don't spend $70K and then be upset with the outcome. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0