02-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
Hey, I have the same vehicle, so good info!
While I am guessing the tranny fluid is stated as "lifetime", what is the consensus on the mileage at which it should be changed if you are going to do so? Guessing every 40 or 60k?

After watching them do the service, would you try it yourself next time if you had a lift at your disposal? Was any coding required afterward? Anything that a DIY'er couldn't do?
Oh, and do you really need to replace the pan for this service?? How much was that?
If I had a lift, I'd do it myself. It seemed pretty straightforward. No coding required. You don't *need* to replace the pan - you'll have to drop the pan anyways to get most of the fluid out, so I went ahead and changed it (cost about $130 for a ZF pan). Plus, BMW claims the screws are one-time use only, so didn't want to risk a leak.

ZF recommends doing the transmission service 50-75K miles. I could've waited a bit more, but I did it because I wanted to see if the shifting at lower speeds became smoother, and it did. I also plan to reset the transmission adaptation values this weekend using Rheingold. HTH.
Appreciate 0