Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalx View Post
Sorry about double post- belongs here

2011 X5 with 55k miles. I've been noticing what appears to be misfire/hesitation upon acceleration. Getting worse over time and more noticeable when vehicle cold. (250 miles since felt and now) Felt exactly what you would expect with bad coil pack or plug. (no codes) Replaced them all and no change. I was convinced it was the Valvetronic motor or system causing misfire and prepared to spend 1,100 at indi BMW shop. Only noticed symptom when the x5 was warm. They could not find it (but testing while cold) After warm-up they felt the mis. I get a call the next day to say it was the driveshaft and was an outstanding recall and i owed them 415 for diagnosis. I didn't believe them and thought they couldn't find issue and was sending to dealership, using driveshaft recall as excuse. Same day, Friday I drove to the shop had them remove the front drive shaft again, so i could test run before i paid. Ran like a dream, absolutely no or hesitation. Ran it without front shaft over the weekend was perfect. Appt at BMW was Monday and picked up today. The x5 seems to shutter just as it did when i first noticed the issue. 250 miles ago. I wish i took photo of old shaft, it looked brand new. WHAT IS GOING ON?
Hmm. Removing the front driveshaft disconnects it from the Transfer Case.

You can further diagnosis by unplugging the transfer case computer module. If it drives great then you have a TC problem.
Appreciate 0