View Single Post
      09-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #20
rbyoung
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5, 2003 BMW M3

This is the start of my documentation of my drive shaft failure. If this is posted in the wrong area let me know and I will relocate it. THis is about my 2013 X5. 88000 miles.

Wednesday 8/30 going to work something felt odd, and my low tire indicator went on. I added air to the tire, wrote it off to it finally getting cooler after a hot summer (and this is probably what it was) and proceeded to work. Even though the tires were correct, they felt overinflated.

I was aware of the drive shaft recall, and I had not heard anything. My girlfriend had, from outside the car, but I did not. The parts have been unavailable.

Leaving work, I felt something like I was dragging an empty box underneath the car. I pulled over, did not see any empty box, and did not see anything from the driveshaft area. Either the car turned itself off, or I did out of instinct, but I think I left the car on. The engine was off when I got back in. I checked for warning lights, restarted the car, and got up to speed on a busy highway.

There was what sounded like an explosion, and then continued bangs against the car. The engine started running roughly. I was going about 55 at the time, had slowed down to 35 or so, and was looking for a safe place to pull off. This was a busy road during rush hour, and I had to continue for a while - maybe a mile - before I could safely stop. I coasted into a repair shop parking lot, which looked and said it was beyond their ability. I knew what it was at the point, and had the car towed to Grayson BMW (BMW of Knoxville) the next day.

Oddly, the bolts holding the drive shaft had not sheared. The driveshaft itself broke, and the sound I heard was it hitting the pavement and then smashing in a semicircle onto the underside of the car, taking out pieces as it went, the oil pan among them. It stayed with the car (pieces of the oil pan and heat shield did not).

The dealer here is good, and while I did not buy this car from them, I have purchased many in the past. I called, and the service adviser said they had just gotten word of parts availability, and to tow it in. The diagnostic I paid the first place was mine, and I knew they could not do anything, but since I was camping out in their parking lot and dropping the last few milliliters of oil on their pavement I happily paid them. I also paid for the tow.

Grayson made all the right sounds on the phone, and the SA told me they had a corporate play book for this. First, they replace all the visibly damaged parts, hook engine and transmission back together, and then start evaluating further for engine damage. Transmission damage was unlikely, he said, since there was no visible damage to the box and it was disconnected from the bad things happening to the North. They have ordered parts, I have been promised a full engine diagnostic, and it appears they are operating with full BMWNA co-operation and support. They did say they have seen this before.

They did start the car, without oil, and I am not sure if that is a clue they are anticipating having to replace the engine or not.

I am in a nice new 430c loaner, and the weather is getting nice, so I plan to enjoy the convertible in the time that I have it, which must be measured in weeks, I think.

I will keep the forum posted.

Last edited by rbyoung; 09-01-2017 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: add mileage
Appreciate 0