United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
unfortunately
this is not a hypothetical question for me
the current crop of BMWs don't do it for me anymore
so I switched brands
as much as I love BMW, I can't spend my hard earned money on any of the current models
this is coming from someone who has owned 5 BMWs in the last 7 years
Same boat here. The only thing I came to BMW for was the steering. Now that's gone and there's nothing about this current crop that makes me want to stay. That and the BMW dealer here is horrific. Audi isn't much better, but it is better.

Quote:
I find it odd because the vehicles share little in common in terms of driving sensation. Granted, i've only driven the A3, TT (both body styles) S4 and A6. But none of them have ever felt on par with the sensation from driving M3s of similar years.

Those above i've driven for weeks and or months at a time (some of them modded) while owning M3s, but the S5, RS4, Q5s are the only ones i've driven recently and only for a test drive. But they didn't really vary much from what i've felt from the past Audi models...on a test drive anyway.
I would tend to agree fully prior to the current crop. Now, with the hydraulic steering gone, aside from balance (which in my opinion is very well made up for by the Audi Quattro AWD system, especially those with torque vectoring) I don't feel BMW to be superior anymore.

Quote:
I haven't gotten into the F80 at all though, even for a test drive.
I got a F80 328i as a loaner and, while I didn't HATE the car by any means, all I kept thinking was "Wow, what a really nice RWD Camry".
Appreciate 0