07-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #20
Arcoril
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S, AP2 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
So none of the "leave the engine on for the car that is giving the jump" business. I'm thinking that is solely due to voltage. It's been awhile but I believe the alternators usually put out around 14V while the batteries are around 12V. Makes sense if these new batteries don't like more than 12V.

(My EE bachelor's is getting rusty so forgive my 'old' knowledge as I don't even use it for my current job...)
That's correct. Lead acids like to be charged at 14V and will settle at around 12.6V for a fully charged battery. The problem here is that applying a charge at under 13V isn't effective and will result in little to no charging.

I'm hoping that the car can detect the presence of a lead acid battery automatically or be instructed via coding. I don't see the $1100 price tag dropping very soon; this is a niche battery that won't see mainstream adoption. When a standard H6 lead acid replacement battery is $90, I don't see myself personally getting $1000+ worth of value from saving 30 lbs with the Li-ion unit.
Appreciate 0