View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
weingarm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

New X5 vs. Deer (was only 19 days old)

Our new X5 diesel arrived 10/27/12. Platinum grey, black leather, sport activity pkg, premium pkg, tech pkg, premium sound pkg, 3rd row. Beautiful.

Fast forward 19 days and 500 miles later. It's dusk, narrow country road, rolling hills. My wife was driving (it's her car), slowing down for a stop sign, going 20-30 mph....

Deer jumps out into the road (crossing left to right), wife hits the brakes but not enough time to stop.... and bam!!! Deer walks away, seemingly unharmed. Everyone's ok (in the X5). Can't see any damage from front seats, so we get out to look. Damaged driver-side quarter panel, bumper, driver-side headlight smashed, kidney grills gone, hood dented, and probably due to energy distribution flex - passenger-side quarter panel cracked where it meets the A-pillar. Washer fluid (from headlight washer) leaks all over the road.

Take the X5 in for collision work 11/19. Mostly cosmetic damage- only mechanical problem is the aforementioned headlight, headlight washer, and a damaged temp sensor causing the A/C compressor/fan to run constantly at full speed. CPU gets reprogramed to make the adaptive headlight and cameras work correctly.

Got the car back 12/19. Everything's fixed. Really great job by the body shop to match the paint. Time will tell, but the quality looks identical to the original paint to my eye.

Worst part was not having it for 4.5 weeks after owning it only 3 weeks. Grand total was almost $12,000!!! Of course, only had to pay the deductible, but just imagine if there was any real mechanical damage! Or if we were going 5-10mph faster! Stupid deer.

See pics below. First is on the day of delivery. 2nd/3rd are the damage. 4th/5th is after repair.
Attached Images