09-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Conti DWS aren't an ideal tire for any application. When the S wears off, they are no longer rated for snow. When the W wears off they are no longer rated for wet. Proceed at your own risk.

There is no substitute for a dedicated single purpose snow tire. Of course, your location will dictate how necessary that is. If you live in the snow belts, don't go half way.

If you elect to go with a square set up, strongly consider a size available from Nokian. Their Hakkapellita R snow tires are unbelievable. I don't know what they are made of, but you can go outside on a -10 degree morning and stick your thumbnail into the side of those tires like you can on your summer rubber on a 90 degree day. They stick in ice and snow like nothing else I have ever driven, and I have tried them all.Yes, they are kind of mushy feeling when pushed, but that's the price you pay for true winter rubber. Performance winter tires sacrifice snow and ice capability for performance.

I also got 35K out of my last set.
^^^^ The Hakkapelilita are the best bar none; I went with the Scorpion Winters to save $$$.