View Single Post
      08-11-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
wheresthetrail
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, 2013 X5M

Resurrecting this guy as it's a top hit for google "how to replace E70 X5M rear brakes".
I just replaced my rear pads and have some heads up for the next folks who dive in:

1. You need a 7mm hex socket or Allen Wrench for the caliper pins/bolts. This is non-standard and I didn't have one in any of my sets. My local hardware store did't have one either and it was just a bit too late to hit the auto parts store...

2. My T45 socket worked in a pinch as a substitute for the 7mm hex. Surprisingly well.

3. Running the new sensor took quite a bit of time and it's pretty tough to reach the male/female connection that's hidden above the heatshield/inner fender. That connector lives in a little black plastic square housing along side another sensor and is hinged on one side. Use a long slender flat head screwdriver to release the 2 snaps on the outboard side of the box.

The brake job itself was standard, generic, floating caliper brake job. Just those few hickups added some hours and frustration. But amazon just delivered my shiny new 7mm hex so I'm ready for next time...

Last edited by wheresthetrail; 08-11-2022 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0