View Single Post
      01-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #12
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
I have the H&Rs with self-leveling rears and I enjoy them. As others have said, the adjustment of the rear end-links is paramount to them riding right. You have to dial in a touch of forward rake. Some don't like doing that, but I have no qualms with it at all. Visually I prefer it over a dead-level vehicle at stock ride height.

coilovers are an expensive option on a SUV. Personally, I don't see the advantage. I have coilovers on 3 other vehicles too. With the adaptive suspension and factory air in the rear, I wouldn't swap out for coilovers, the factory suspension works great for what these were intended to do.

As for the ride quality, I could not perceive much change from the factories. Over jarring bumps (potholes, abrupt lane or driveway edges) at speed you can feel a slight difference, but I've never bottomed out the suspension as others have mentioned. I'd hate to even know how they accomplished that... yikes.

I didn't notice a marked improvement in handling or body roll with the springs. I don't really think the H&Rs are much (if any) stiffer than the stockers. I haven't done any research on spring rates for the front but I really doubt an H&R equipped (non-M) X5 would do a lap around a track any faster than stocker would. For me the modification was purely for aesthetics.

Over speed bumps is the only place I notice a significant change. You CAN bottom out the suspension over speed bumps and I suggest slowing down going over them until you get a feel for the suspension travel going over there. That was the only real difference I felt between stock and the H&Rs.
Thanks for the insight. Did you do the 2.0" drop in front, or 1.2?