View Single Post
      11-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

What a Ordeal !!

I initially posted pictures of my radar detector mounted just left of the steering wheel on the dash using a mount that I fabricated. When I took the panel off under the drivers side dash, I was unsure where to tie in the 12V line for the radar detector. I contacted the dealer and they said you can only tie into the cig lighter circuit, and whatever you do don't splice the small fiber optic lines. That was all I needed to hear so I asked to set up a appointment to have them do it. Then he told me it was 5-6 hours and the cost was $640.00. I almost lost my mind!! I started looking at battery operated detectors but you have to turn them on every time you get in the car, and I know I would forget. After doing a search on the net I followed step by step instructions how to tie into the garage door opener circuit in the overhead console (for windshield or visor mount) and also how to tie into the cig lighter circuit in the ash tray (for dash mount) I followed the instructions and it took less than an hour to do. I elected to scrap my dash mount and go for the visor. I highly recomend that you use these instructions if you are going this route. Let me know if you need them as I am not sure what rules are here for posting this type of stuff.
Best,
Brian
Appreciate 0