View Single Post
      11-28-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
Silverbear
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8

I haven't got it done yet, hence no pics, but what I will be doing in my 08 X6 is the same as I've done for years in other cars, mounting my trusted Valentine 1 behind the center rear view mirror, on the passenger side. I put it so that the rear facing radar detector is just to the right of the rear view mirror, and the whole thing is invisible from the drivers side. I just use the V1 factory suction cups, the larger size. They sell you a pack of 2 of each size for like $2, I bought 10 or so packs of them and some extra mounts and I find if I just always leave the suction cup mount up when I move the V1 to other vehicles that it will stay mounted for years on a set of those.

I wire the power from underneath the dash up above the windshield and then down along the mirror mount to the V1 and then I mount the little concealed display somewhere, I am still figuring out where is best for that. I am thinking of blocking the little fuel consumption gauge needle with the. I wish I could route the radar detector output to the BMW Head Up Display, that would be the best choice. I'd like t have it display warnings right beside the speed in the head up display.

I just saw an aftermarket add on head up display from Autosport catalog that could possibly display the radar detector output, I'll be looking into that. I like to mount my V1 as high as possible because you gain increased warning time in hilly terrain. I've only had my X5 about a month, but my V1 has already saved me twice from really bad tickets. I have it just temporarily mounted in the center of the windshield for now.
Appreciate 0