View Single Post
      10-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDLORD View Post
The active steering is one of the many things I love about my M. It is there helping you like all of the other technology. It allows easy movement in tight low speed conditions, and then when going fast, the ratio adjusts to increase the precision in steering movements at speed. It also adjusts the steering resistance in the M when using the Sport mode.
Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken, you don't have Active Steering on the X6M. IF it is like the M5, you have a variable ratio, but it does not adjust with speed. Basically, with the variable ratio in the M5, the first x amount of turn does not do much, but that increases the more you turn the wheel. So it is a bit like Active Steering (and certainly not as bad as regular) but the one difference is that it will not adjust on you at speed. This is on purpose because on the track (where we all take our cars right?), if you are in a turn and slowing down, with Active Steering, you actually have to unwind the car because the ration changes with speed. This can be annoying on the track they say. In real life however, it rarely happens - but with the M cars, they take the chance of that happening out.

Let me know if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0