View Single Post
      02-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #156
klwill1192
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Yes they'll work on yours provided you have the Sport or M Sport package, otherwise it won't work.
I can confirm that the paddle shift retrofit DOES work on a 2012 LCI E70 without the Sport or M Sport package.

I just completed retrofitting a heated Sport steering wheel with paddles into my 2012 LCI X5. My car had neither a heated steering wheel nor the Sports package factory installed.

I did it in two steps primarily because I started the heated retrofit before I was aware the paddle shifter retrofit was a possibility. I used Mundo74's tutorial as a basis for the heated steering wheel, though I wired it to conform to the factory wiring diagrams. The details are in my post at the bottom of that thread. https://xoutpost.com/1152956-post28.html

While doing the retrofit, I confirmed that I had 5VDC between pins 4 and 6 of the x01003 connector in the steering wheel--the "PAD+" and "PAD-" pins from the wiring diagrams.

I found a Sports steering wheel with heater and paddle shifters from a 2013 X6 for $225+shipping on eBay. I'm about 98% sure it's BMW part number 32306797911. I also bought a knock-off airbag cover from eBay ($38). I swapped the airbag cover onto the spare post-recall airbag that came with my first heated steering wheel, then put the new Sports steering wheel in the car.

I added the 2XA option to the VO, though I don't think this was necessary--there were no other modules that I coded for this.

When everything was put back together I went for a test drive. The paddle shifters worked exactly as I had hoped. I will replace the knock-off airbag cover with an OE cover just to be on the safe side--just waiting for it to arrive from Europe.

I probably won't use the paddle shifters very often, but I love the look of the Sports steering wheel.
Appreciate 0