Rboosted717
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post
Great thread/write up!

Are you disappointed with the sound?

Would have though it would be a little deeper and more menacing than stock....I would almost be inclined to only to this exhaust with catless downpipes!

Doing catless downpipes?

Bob MG you mention your downpipes are hamman, or were they supersprint?

Or made for hamman via supersprint?
No I'm not disappointed with the sound because all other systems have the same issue. Plus the idea of only replacing the muffler for sound (ex: Eisenmann) is pretty lame IMO.

I purchased this complete system for following reasons:
#1 - Weight reduction - the stock system is quite heavy.
#2 - Quality & excellent materials - you can't beat 100% titanium and flawless welds.
#3 - Muffler bypass system - the ability to bypass the muffler using the OEM functionality is awesome!
#4 - Aside from the heavy and overpriced Supersprint system, this is the only complete cat-back system for the X5M.

It does have a deeper tone then stock and a slightly higher note at wide-open throttle, however, most of the noise can only be heard from outside the truck.

Yes I'll be doing catless downpipes. I expect to have them completed in the coming week or two. Currently Supersprint is the only manufacture of catless downpipes (Hamann uses Supersprint).
Based on some R&D, the factory downpipes are the cause of muted exhaust on these trucks. Unless you remove the catalysts or relocate them further downstream (practically a waste of money), you'll always have a muted sounding exhaust. I'm sure BOB MG can attest to the impact removing the catalyst have on performance and sound, even with a stock exhaust system.

Here's some additional pictures of the exhaust tips:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0