View Single Post
      06-16-2015, 05:22 PM   #29
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo
I've owned over 30 BMW's and out of those 30, 2 were pieces of shit, the rest have all been very reliable besides your normal wear and tear. I currently own 2- X5/M that have been trouble free and I drive ALL my cars like I stole them! As long as you don't follow BMW's silly maintenance schedule and do your own preventive maintenance such as changing your oil every 5k miles, your Bimmer will run for ever!
If you look at BMW reliability for the first owner, he will usually be satisfied since he has the warranty.

When you factor in BMW's past history of buying back cars that fail to be reliable during the first year, you end up with highly satisfied first owners.

Yet, the thing that repeatedly hurts BMW is the high standards BMW customers have. For example, BMW customers are likely to complain incessantly about a 20 db squeak where a Miata customer couldn't hear the squeak with the windows up, the radio off, and the engine idling while coasting down a bumpy hill at 80 mph.

Now, owning any BMW out of warranty can be astronomical. Plus, second hand BMW owners are equally likely to complain about a 20 db squeak. Moreover, second owners are likely to complain about aesthetic issues that develop---only to be frustrated by the fact that aesthetic issues aren't covered by CPO.

The bottom line, part for part, car for car, BMW's are indeed reliable as their non-lux competitors,

Now, to get there, we need to overlook the ethanol induced HPPF failures. Although, anyone severely affected by repeated HPPF failures may be too upset to reconsider the brand.

I am a loyal BMW customer. To my detriment, I never shop anything but BMW. But, BMW should learn quickly, however, my loyalty has limits and BMW better snap shit when I have a problem.

So far, BMW affirmatively responds to my inquiries and BMW has done backflips to keep me satisfied.
Appreciate 0