11-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
No doubt changing from runflats to regular tires makes a huge difference with 20s...better handling, quicker transitions, less harshness. I did this on my previous M and it was very noticeable. I haven't done it on my current 50i, but only because I promised my wife I wouldn't.

By the way, modern high-quality tires have stiff enough sidewalls and sturdy build construction that blowouts are rare, and flats can be reinflated with a pump that buys you time to get to a tire shop for a patch. I've had a number of flats but never a blowout...you aren't going to see a Michelin tire delaminate stranding you on the side of the freeway.
+1. I never had a blowout (knock on wood). I had plenty of nail punctures that lead to slow leaks, but it's the TPMS job to detect a slight air pressure change so you can go fix it. Before TPMS, I checked my tire pressure twice a month and before a long drive. It's about maintaining your tire pressure and not buying cheap non-brand tires.

You can't fix a RFT, but it's free game for non-RFTs. I think BMW made up that rule so you would buy new tires; I actually patch my RFTs on my last BMW w/o an issue for as long as I had it.

I switched my crappy Dunlop RFT to Contis DWS, I can't stop raving about it. Best tires for the X5 with 20s.
Appreciate 0