SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garris
I couldn't agree more.

I'm a E46 3 series owner and someone who has found more recent BMW's as very interesting to look at but not necessarily pretty, balanced, or aggressive. In some respects, they've appeared unpolished, unfinished, and unrefined in their detailing...

Well, this is the first new BMW in about 6 years that gives me a tingly, "WOW!" feeling upon seeing the first photos. It has somehow recaptured that aggressive, balanced sense of mission in its styling while still carrying all of the design cues of the modern BMW's. There's also a new sense of refinement, crafting, and detailing that I think has been largely absent from more recent, blunt designs like the 7, 5, and 3. This is especially evident in the interior, which is outright gorgeous and puts the rest of the BMW line to shame (isn't BMW's new interior designer from Audi? I can certainly believe it looking at those photos...).

The contemporary BMW styling language has just (finally) graduated to fully mature and desirable. The 3-series coupe, which I still think looks great, was *almost* there, still being a bit "off" from some angles. But the X5 is the real deal. I believe next up is the new 7 series, then the redone 5. I can't wait! If they carry this X5's sense of purpose, balance, aggressiveness, and refinement of details, they'll be incredible cars indeed!

- Garris

Amen. Better said than I could manage.
Guy #1: "Hanz, I know zee window switches have always been next to zee shifter in zee 3er cars, but I think ve should move them to zee door!"
Guy #2: "But zee doors are already designed and ve do not have time to re-design them!"
Guy #1: "Just make it verk or you vill be verking over at VW!"
Appreciate 0