View Single Post
      11-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #11
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysat11 View Post
Funny, I get this too! Brand New Valve seals and Turbo's done at the dealer.
It's not an oil smell to be honest and it's quite unique, almost like a wet of moldy smell and definitely doesn't smell like oil. It only comes on intermittently after long idle. Been scratching my head about it for quite some time. I've been wondering if it has to do with the A/C system. It's been hot and noticed every time this happens my A/C has been on.

I recently changed my Upstream O2 sensors (both) and it seems to have gone away. But it's hard to replicate this consistently. The other day I idled for at least 20 minutes after doing the O2 sensors and this did not happen again. It's so hard to predict, we'll see.

Another thing to scratch my head at has been the sulfur smell. Do you get a sulfur smell at all from time to time? No smoke.
Yes, get the sulfur smell more often than not, but its not strong, very slight hint - you literally have to bend down to the exhaust pipe and smell it to sense it.

I haven't had this smoke since the original post, but when it was smoking, it was more like a burning smell, not necessary oil, more like electronic burning smell or something. And yes, even before the valve seals replacement I've noticed this smoke, and it was during very hot weather.

I bought all new CCV hoses, but haven't got around getting them replaced yet. Last time my mechanic said CCV system is working properly, so I am waiting when (and if) the car start to smoke again, so I can bring it to him to have another look.
Appreciate 0