View Single Post
      10-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #83
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

I just picked up a 2012 X5M, neither airbag has been done. 50k miles.
It's not illegal to sell USED cars with open recalls only new ones, so I don't know where people are getting thier info, they should dig a little more.
That being said, lots of NEW car dealers will auction of used cars instead of putting them into inventory as a rule of thumb if it has a recall with no current remedy.
I know for 100% fact that mine was traded into a local Toyota dealer here, put up for sale because the recall showed it was available for repair and they realized after the fact that only the driver side was and the passenger wasn't available yet.
That being said they pulled it from thier inventory and sent it to auction.
I also know how much the used car dealer paid for it and when they bought it, they got a good deal on a car that should have been sold from the dealer who took it on trade and made some coin.
In the process of looking for an X5M close to me in portland I did find one up near Tacoma that had a similar situation, they had listed it in inventory with no pics and then pulled it for auction found this out after talking to them.

While I don't think the recalls are effecting value as much on something like an X5M, they are deminishing it's value when they get sent to auction for a few reasons. One is what they are being bought for at auction on average and Two is a used car dealer selling them without option for warranty or with out the prowess of being a large dealership. This knocks the overall average down on an otherwise good car, good news for you if you're in the market.. bad news if you're looking to sell.

Private party would be the way to go if you're looking to sell with some of these cars. Trade isn't ever going to give you a private party price, not to mention that if many new car dealers are dumping these at auction then the price reduces even more when the overall average decreased.
You won't get those numbers from KBB or NADA, those numbers aren't really good either, more like a random strangers advice.
They don't reflect local market, average rate of resale and rare or highly optioned cars. They pretend to, I've seen cars go for well under and way over routinely.
Heck, my car says it's worth $43k with options and miles.
I bought it more then $10k less then that and I know the dealer after buying and fees made about $4k

On the plus side I've heard that passenger bags should all be rolling out soon!

Just figure anything you're gonna buy from a dealer they are going to pick apart to get the most lucrative deal for them, the same way you would.

The nonrepaired recall cars can be sold on any dealers lot LEGALLY as long as it's being sold as a USED car.
Appreciate 0