View Single Post
      09-23-2017, 02:03 AM   #33
fony3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

So my buddy was able to score me an iDatastart unit and lent me his programming cable. For some reason this branding version comes with a 2 way remote good for 2000ft.

http://www.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/165

Upon opening and looking up model numbers the added remote is a compustar ANT-2WSP RF 2 way kit and slice Jr remotes.

I was in a rush and didn't take photos, but install took me 4 hours, but easily could be done quicker.

My issues:
I spent about 40 minutes failing to get my phone to connect to the mobile programmer I borrowed, my wifes iPad ended up working with it. Then I had a heart attack when nothing worked (as in locks, ignition, radio, etc) with the jumper cables plugged in, after another 40mins of panic, Google searches, plugging and unplugging it resolved itself. I figured it was due to one or two of the plugs needing a firm push to properly seat. After that I realized that both modules need to be programmed before install, I only flashed the first, so that was another 10-15 wasted.

After that, the KLON programming was a breeze, running through the completion checklist and test was a easy and had no issues. Setting up the RF remotes took a bit of playing around. Then spent some extra time doing my best to stuff the cables and unit cleanly.

I'd say without hiccups like mine it's a 2.5 hour job at a relaxed pace.

First impressions:
It starts no problem with the OEM fob, takes a good 10-15 seconds to go through a bit of a sequence and start. The parking lights flash every 5 seconds and the headlights are on when you remote start. I find this a bit annoying, kinda says "look at me I'm running".
The two way remote I thought was pretty cool, you hold the button for 3 seconds and it beeps and flashes once it starts, or if it fails. I didn't test it out with any distance, just the far side of the house which is all we need.

So far so good.
Appreciate 0