P6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M sold, X5M sold, X6M current

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
OP, I ran 295's up from and 335s in the rear on a 22 inch wheel. Pirelli is one of the few that makes it in those sizes, they have a high performance summer and all season option in that size.

To anyone who thinks tracking an x5m is stupid, keep in mind the whole reason this truck has an M badge on it is for that very reason. You CAN take it to a track and have a lot of fun. It will out do some very capable cars. There was another member on here who tracked his M daily, he actually used it to instruct people on the track. He had another track spec vehicle but said that the x5m was truly an impressive machine on the track
No, the M badge on the X5/X6 wasn't for the track. It was to not be lost by MB and Land Rover, and other luxury units putting out performance versions of their SUVs. It was a me too, a luxury item, a niche vehicle for folks that could afford it; and BMW could collect a high margin from it, to make up for the low volume.
It wasn't for the track, though semi track capable on HPDE, but not much more beyond that. Simple physics.

For anyone that has truly tracked a car, they would know that a 5k+ car/SUV/SAV will never be a successful track vehicle. But an occasional romp has never hurt anyone, other than their wallet.
I don't think anyone would argue this truck was built as a track vehicle. Consumables would definitely put this in the "higher" cost tier. And you're right, not a good platform to start with. But it was certainly built to show off a little at the track without suffering. It's not just a straight line champ. Just saw some video of the new X6M at COTA and they were running very respectable lap times.
Appreciate 0