View Single Post
      08-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
cryptic23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6sy View Post
Thanks a lot. The information was a great help.

So I can get the following wheel:

20X9.5 front with ET 45
20X10.5 with ET 30

center bore : 74.1 for both with .1mm ring.

Tire : 275X40X20 front and 315X35X20 rear.

Is this correct and I should be safe with this configuration. Not to be cheap but I would like to get a replica to save some money and not worry by bending the rim during winter driving. Do you know any good replica style 214? Thanks again
it's not ideal really no, 20" wheels should be

Front alloy wheels: 20x10" ET40

Rear alloy wheels: 20x11" ET37

But the tyres are correct so it could work ok with the o-ring,

It's really down to you guys to decide if you want reps on your cars , personally i don't get it they are the things that are spinning round at speed keeping you on the road !

In the UK the X6 is about £55K depending on options , i would not even consider putting on cheap reps even if just for winter or summer either way.

It really is not a good idea , i know we all want to save a bit here and there but spending so much on a car and putting on reps that are not even the right fitment ....

Buy cheap and you buy twice that is for sure, i would not want to be going at speed and the wheel crack with my baby daughter in the back , they also void the warranty and best to ask your insurance company if it would effect a claim if you had non genuine wheels on.

Don't get me wrong i am not all for spending money but my X6 cost me a bloody fortune i am not prepared to mess with it !

I have a set of genuine 20" Y spoke with tyres ( have done 2000 miles only ) As i took the plunge and bought some genuine BMW 215"s ( ferrick grey)
If you where in the uk you would be laughing as i am going to put them on ebay, my point is they do come up second hand.

I would suggest waiting for some genuine second hand X6 wheels to pop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgclark View Post
I'm also thinking about getting 214 reps for winter. Someone else had posted (not sure of it was this board or another) that instead of doing the same staggered setup as summer, they got 4 matching wheels using the narrower front size. I was thinking about trying to do the same so that I could get 4 matching winter tires as well. It seems like the narrower rear would help with traction and I doubt it would be that noticeable aesthetically.
Maybe not aesthetically but safety wise forget it.

[QUOTE=kgclark;7770432There seem to be plenty of people selling these in the $800/set/shipped range on ebay. Seems like a decent deal I guess - as long as the quality isn't total shite. [/QUOTE]

$800 a set shipped so lets say the wheels are costing $650 , i know that dealers are a complete rip off but they retail at £2500 , $3800 !

If something is cheap there is usually a reason why.

$3150 price difference makes me wonder !

I forgot to mention that when buying the 215's ferick grey from BMW i had to buy rear fender deflectors as part of the package they where only £18 but they sit in side the rear arches as changing the wheel size also changes the way the slip stream runs down the car and makes it handle , steering wheel wise.

Just something to consider when messing with wheel sizes ET'S etc, ask your local dealer about the rear wheel arch deflectors and if you require them when changing to non genuine.

Last edited by cryptic23; 08-04-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0