04-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Travis1807
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I need this in ///My life because I need to replace mine as well. The pipes in the bottom picture I've replaced already, but the pipes in the upper picture need to be replaced now as well. I was also thinking of doing something like silicone on #3 from the upper picture, but your idea sounds like it'll ultimately last longer. I've had random reduced power warnings and the smell of oil burning pretty much since I've gotten my X5M, even after replacing some of those lines and a new vacuum pump.

Have you thought about replacing ALL the vacuum lines with something silicone as well? After watching videos of people testing boost leaks on 335's, it seems like all this cheap rubber is a bad idea. Even after a stage 2 tune I'm still not getting over 17psi.

I'm familiar with all the X5M pics, so I can tell the differences where you switched from X5M to M5 pics. I'm curious if you've got plans to incorporate this into the custom intake you just had made because it's going to affect my overall plans of replacing ask the remaining plastic lines, getting an intake made like yours and if doing a catch can setup needs to be worked into it for they long term fix.

I am planning on having -AN fittings welded onto my intake like the pictures above. I however need to do some more research. Our CCV system is different then the M5's pictured above. The guys who re-plumbed the CCV system for the M5 where able to keep all the stock connections in place where the CCV system connects to the engine. On our set up we have 1 extra point on each side of the engine to worry about.

So on the 1-4 side we have the exit point on the engine (the one that sits low on the engine) that runs up to the connection pipe (connects 1-4 side to 5-8 side via a pipe running above turbos) and then the connecting pipe runs into that 3 to 1 plastic fitting. From there everything pushes pass the PCV valve and ultimately into the intake air duct on the 5-8 side.

The 1-4 side then has a upper exit point that runs into a PCV valve and then into the air intake duct on that same side. The same thing happens on the 5-8 side but instead of the lower exit point on the engine running to a connecting point both the high and low engine points run into that 3 to 1 plastic fitting.

So ultimately i think it would be wise to plumb both sides the same with the upper and lower exit points on the engine running to a 2 to 1 "Y" fitting that feeds into the catchcan and then the catch can runs into the PCV valve that feeds into the intake air duct. This will eliminate the connection pipe and hopefully help on freeing up the system to flow better so you don't have 3 lines feeding into 1. I would advise running -12AN fittings for your catch can and I will most likely scrap all of BMW's stock setup with the exception being the connections on the engine and intake air duct. These can have the stock pipe cut off with a razor. They are shaped like hose barbs so a hose clamp is all you should need to hold a press fitted line on. I might end up replacing the connection points on the engine with -AN fittings if I can get to them to drill them out and tap them.

I will post pictures for you later of the catch can setup's I will be using. I haven't seen anything else like them around and have used them in the past with great success.
TTV8M121.00