03-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #53
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
My problem with DWS is the side wall is too soft and makes the turns too squishy. I actually prefer harsher and firmer ride for a sporty, performance oriented feel.
Do you have the 20" staggered wheels or the 19"? I have the DWS on my 535i with the 18", the sidewalls feel a bit softer compared to the RFTs. With DWS on the X5 SAV with 20", the sidewalls are thin enough where the difference in feel isn't significant.

RFT sidewalls are supposed to be thicker and firmer, since it's reinforced by kevlar and thicker material so you can drive w/o air. With thicker sidewalls, you're also getting more unprung weight. RFTs feel about twice as heavy, compared to DWS off the car. Plus, having the set of DWS on is like wearing a set of Bose QC15 on the plane. It's ridiculously quiet compared to the stock RFTs. You will feel the lighter unprung weight and hear the difference when it's mounted, a fair trade-up IMO.

Overall, DWS is a very "good" replacement for the money compared to other non-RFTs in its class. It's the best "jack of all trades" tires, but it's not going to be "great" in any particular categories (maybe noise, it's great there). I wouldn't mount these on track days.
Appreciate 0