View Single Post
      10-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M, 2018 RRS

2010 X6 purchase

I meant 2012 X6 purchase - sorry

I have driven a RR sport for 5 years and over the summer decided it was time to get something new. I liked the X6 and test drove a new RR sport also.

Somehow I convinced myself to keep the RR sport for it's practicality and then got a 335I convertible for fun and also because I had never owned a convertible. The 335i is great to drive and I made it the way I wanted it, but after 5 months it's spent all it's time sitting in the garage because it's not practical to drive to work (which is where I am most of the time, spending 20+ days a month in hotels out of state + baggage, so no opportunity to drive the 335i).

Now Im looking at getting an X6 and trading in both which the dealer is of course happy to do . The fact is the X6 is unique and I just don't see too many manly SUV/performance types out there. The RR sport is getting a little long in the tooth and cannot touch the tech of the BMW class. I also want a car that I can enjoy all the time - two cars is overrated in my situation.

I have read review after review and looked at specs. I am going to load it up and add the performance package at $2,800 +$1,000 to paint/fit, which imho makes it look a lot better and quite frankly I think the X6M is just too much money. Like my 335i, I wanted the M sport package which I understood was supposed to be around in 2010, but my dealer told me no can do.

My big question regards the model and performance i.e. 3.5 versus 5.0. I have dismissed the X6M as too expensive for me even though top of the line performance would be attractive. Is the performance difference between the two that much different (I would want something at least as quick as the stock 335i) and is it worth considering the performance tune from bmw for the extra 49 hp. Has anyone done it.

I will be going to my dealer this wednesday to try to make a deal and below are the options I'm looking at. General comments on the two variants and options to get etc would be very much appreciated from everyone.

Black Sapphire Metallic
Oyster Nevada Leather
Dark wood trim
Cold Weather Package
Premium Package
Sport Package
20" Light alloy Y-Spoke wheels
Technology Package
3 Rear Seats
Running boards
Soft-close automatic doors
BMW Apple iPhone Media / BMW Apps + Adapter