View Single Post
      06-25-2016, 12:58 PM   #33
Robm129
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
If you are looking into working in the private sector; I suggest updating your Linkedin profile with key words, titles, duties, etc; and recruiters will find their way to contacting you.

There are many recruiting companies, or head hunters whose sole job is to search for potential candidates.

If you want a government GS position, using USAJOBS is probably the only way. Lots of positions open for contractors as well. Believe it or not, many small business certified contracting companies hire from Craigslist.

I'm actually in NOVA as well, if you want some tips, feel free to PM me and I can talk you through the process that I went through.

If you are able to swing a full-time job and MBA at the same time, I suggest that. Lots of options for evening classes around the area; including Georgetown, George Washington; Catholic University, Virginia Tech, Mary Washington--- loads more.
I'm hearing that USAJOBS is just a legal front and the majority of jobs are filled by the good ole boy club. I guess you need to get in however you can then move around to move up the GS scale. My gf's dad is a SES but don't think we are at the point where he'll pull strings for me.

I have lots of mixed reviews for the recruiting companies. I'll hit you up in PM to pick your brain. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
People who don't have MBAs will rationalize by any number of things to say it's not worth it.

The MBA grows your business decision making muscle in a new way from undergrad. ALSO, by getting my MBA I gained a plethora of connections from all different tech companies. The networking you get is far greater than the networking of just going to the work place.

If you can make it happen financially do it. Don't let a ton of ppl who don't have one "rationalize" why it's not the best plan. MBA doesn't equal success in and of itself, but it's been a huge help for me in my early career working in marketing in the Silicon Valley.
That is something I've heard multiple times and agree for the most part. Confirmation bias is what I believe it is called.

Financially I'm good, GI Bill plus savings will allow me to attend most programs and leave debt free. One concern I have, could be totally made up in my head, is age bias. I'm 31 now and would be 34 by the time I am done with an MBA. Is this good or bad or all made up in my head?
Appreciate 1