M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robm129
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Nothing is more valuable than work experience. When I see people with no experience and an mba I immediately think he couldn't get a job and therefore went to school.
I would think this would be determined, in my case, by how well I translate my military resume to "normal" people language.
People love hiring military. You have more experience than you think. Teamwork, leadership, work ethic, discipline. Get a job in a field you want and learn it quickly on the fly and you'll grow very fast. If you then think an lbs is stoping you from growing, go for it. The thing is an mba doesn't make you smarter or make you think different. I've worked with plenty of Ivy League people who are just freaking idiots and others without an mba who have gotten to the top with their skills and smarts wo an mba. And if it's not from a decent school then don't even bother. The most useful thing you will get from an mba is the direct hires at firms who are actively recruiting here. No one gonna recruit you from an average school.

I was like you too - started late in my career but not because military but more like the penitentiary type

One advantage I had was that as a person I was more mature and knowledgable so understood things a lot quicker and was able to align myself with the higher ups a lot easier than if I was say 22. I started at 30 and have been growing and getting promoted pretty quick and am pretty much at a level where the average is people at my age (except I'm sure most started straight out of college). Since I started late I was also determined to get to the top quicker thus worked harder.

I still think experience is the way to go. You're definitely gonna learn more about your field in a job and being in real life situations than from a class. Did your first day on the field teach you a shit ton more than any of the preparation you may have done before?