View Single Post
      06-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #26
Brooklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Slow as a turtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
There's history behind the M's it was bmws flagship sports cars and now there's suvs in the line up you have to understand the background of bmw to be angry on what they did. And its not that the X6 looks ugly for me its more then that

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248494

here a good thread to understand why people are mad
I do understand the background. I also understand BMW is a business and the M-division, which was founded as a racing department, started selling cars to the public because there was a demand for performance cars. That was in the late 70's, now, 30 years later, there is a market for performance trucks and they have started selling M-trucks to the public. How is this any different?

So the argument is that BMW is turning their backs on their "loyal fan base" of M buyers? To begin with, this fan base isn’t a particularly large % of the BMW consumer base to begin with. Then we can reduce that percentage of the M fan base by those who aren’t personally offended by BMW's choice to produce these vehicles, and the number of personally offended BMW M-enthusiasts shrinks even further. Should BMW worry that a handful of people will stop buying M cars?

The automotive world is in constant flux, it would be stupid of the BMW development group to NOT include a vehicle to compete with the Porsche Cayenne’s and the Mercedes AMG trucks. What will the M enthusiasts, who think of this as a personal affront, say when BMW M division replaces their traditionally naturally aspirated engines with forced induction engines to compete with the changing markets?

Furthermore, where will these dedicated enthusiasts go? Will they start driving Mustangs for their naturally aspirated engines? Do you think BMW will lose customers because of their choice to produce M-trucks to compete in the ever-changing market? If they are so offended by BMW's choice to produce M-division trucks it will be hypocritical of them to drive MB's whose AMG tuning department also has a line of trucks, or Porsche's, with their Cayenne's. The fact is, most of them will continue to buy M cars.

Lets face it, the BMW marketing department probably has a better idea of what will be best for their business than some BMW forum members and M-enthusiats who feel personally betrayed by a large automotive companies choice to make more money. Things will always change and I suppose there will always be a percentage of the customer base who feels as though they are in some way important, when in reality, they arent.