Thread: EGR Issues
View Single Post
      05-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
GizmoPhoto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW x35d

EGR Issues

Took my x35d to the dealership the other day due to my doorchimes going off saying my door was open while I was driving. A couple days before I got it into the dealership the current issue drained the batter and I had to jumpstart the car. Shortly after that the check engine light came on. I didn't think anything about it because it happened close proximity to me jumping the car, just figured it was something related to me jumping it.
The dealership advised that the EGR valve is sticking open and that the cooler needs to be replaced which they advised was an $800 part plus the 4.5 hrs of labor that it shows bringing my price to around $1300.
Im confused that if the EGR valve is sticking why the cooler needs to be replaced when I can get a EGR valve off the web for like $200. Why replace the whole thing?
Also, couldn't I just do a delete for even cheaper and not even have to mess with it?
Im not mechanically savy so I don't know much about anything and this is my first diesel. So, I don't guess the EGR isn't even necessary?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS!

Just FYI, I have a 2011 BMW X5d with 70k miles.
Appreciate 0