View Single Post
      01-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Clueless
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 4.8

We drove both for an extensive test back to back, as we were upgrading from the current X5 4.8. It was the LCI xDrive50 and the pre LCI X5M.

The xdrive50 was a significant step up in power, handling, driveability and comfort. We were very impressed at how it handled and the power was there on tap.

I am not sure if it was our or the salesmans expectations of how amazing the X5M was supposed to be, but when we got out on the road it felt VERY heavy to drive and you had to work it to get the performance. Although the acceleration was obviously faster, it felt like you had to work harder to get it to get going.

It also felt VERY heavy in low speed turns through the steering wheel. High speed sweepers weren't handled measurably better than the xDrive50 (seat of pants 'ometer).

In the end, we felt that the M model didn't exceed or meet our expectations anywhere near as much as the all round performance of the xDrive50 did so that is what we bought.

I put it down to the setup on the X5M being based on the pre LCI X5 as the reason it felt so heavy to drive (one of the reasons we are getting out of the 4.8).

I'm awaiting a test drive of an LCI X5M as I intend to trade my E60 540 M Sport for an X6M once the update arrives.
Appreciate 0