View Single Post
      03-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #31
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan4 View Post
The M6 hasn't been that reliable anyway, 1 of the 2 goes out every race for some mechanical reason or another. Maybe not the TTV8 as root cause, but what's the difference if your not on the pace of the competition.

Yes, I think the M4 would be a better choice. Porsche (NA) and Ford (TTV6) are running 6's, why not? If the S55 is that close to blowing up with 500HP, then that doesn't say much for the longevity of my F80, or all the S55's out there with tunes. Most of racing is for marketing anyway....who the heck races M6's other than BMW corporate? The M3/4 is the car BMW should be racing, no question IMHO.

Also as a few posts have said, I don't think Rahal's team is good at the BOP lobbying. With Ganassi and Corvette in GTLM, BMW is not in a good position with the monstrous M6, and lets face it, BOP charity from IMSA is what it takes for this M6 to compete with a Ford GT, Corvette, Ferrari, etc.
Its easier to have restrictors/tune on the TTV8 that already is pushing close to 600 in street tune, than it is to boost up the S55 to 500, when the GTS needs (the gimmick) water injection to get that close. The TTV8 ain't stressed, but the S55 would more than likely probably. If any of these tuners have a 500 hp S55 that can last 12 of Sebring, 24 hours of Daytona, 24 hours of Le Mans, then by all means, then they need to develop and bring that car as a privateer or allow some type of backdoor BMW support.

To me the M6 is like the Bentley Conti GT race car, great concept, but out of place in a sense. And I guess that is why you don't see the Bentley in the Weathertech series, but racing at Bathurst....

Remember, the car before the M6 was the insane Z4LM with the NA V8, that I believe was in the M3 Team RLL racecar. How they got that thru the rules, I would like to know.
But, BMW basically has NO sports car to run, and no engine to run in said sports car. Audi has the R8 with the V10, Mercedes the AMG GT with the TTV8. I think that Lexus has the RC-F in GTD (didn't follow that class) Maybe when the new 6 series, which is supposed to be a Porsche 911 competitor comes out, then they will have a car. But, what will the engine be? But, until then, BMW is stuck with a big GT dealing with sports cars.

Honorable mention---the Cadillac ATS-V coupe in another series.
Appreciate 0