View Single Post
      04-11-2024, 11:10 PM   #54
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryantaz View Post
Hmm these statements are quite contradictory. A prime rib is just a ribeye that is not cut into individual steaks but is instead roasted whole... My issue with the Prime rib is that it often doesn't get any sear.

IMO filet is by far the most overrated steak. My overstatement: real steak people don't order the filet minion!

There are many steak houses where all steaks are prime except for the filet (because they know that real steak lovers don't order it anyway). The filet is tender sure but it has so much less fat that it is the least flavorful cut. My wife and I have made some good filets but usually that is because they are coated in herb butter or some other extra fat.

I always cringe when people order a well done filet, they might as well order a can of dogfood.

-Rich
So ‘real’ steak lovers prefer eating fat over meat? Or, smother it in some other fat like butter or oil to make it taste better?

I hear those ‘real’ steak lovers also prefer medium rare to well done with a side of ketchup

I’ll take a filet, blue rare any day every day over other cuts, less ‘flavored fat’ and actual meat taste. All it needs is some salt and pepper rub and good to go.

I cringe when anyone orders at a restaurant or asks me to cook anything more than rare…if you want more then that, I’ll cook you a burger (ground trimmings from the filets I cut) anywhere from medium rare to hockey puck.
Appreciate 0