View Single Post
      06-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #19
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
That is correct. Their latest Progman update on the 335i and all models can now detect whether or not a piggy back has even been installed and they are voiding a lot of warranties as a result of this. My service director said that BMW has already voided about 12 BMW owners warranties at my dealers because they had a tune of some nature and one guy had to fork out over $6k because his turbo was blown on 335i. These engines are so complex and with the computers as advanced as they are, I personally would not get a tune unless I knew I had backing by a group like Dinan. Better a little conservative and safe with increased power than trying to max your power increase to the limit and risk a lot of potential headaches and out of pocket expenses.
1 guy...
I heard about 1 guy that got pregnant and gave birth... Oh that's right it was a girl.. Hearsay is crap.. If all of the piggybacks were so detectable they would be out of business.. as far as I can see.. they are THRIVING. I personally removed every modification from my car having only 3 months left on my car. I drove it modded for over 2 years and never once ran into a single warranty related problem. I was smart, I took proper care of my car and never abused it. At its maximum dyno test it pushed over 400 WHP and WTQ.. It has also ran in the low 12's at the track. I am 1 guy who did not have a single issue. (Besides 3 HPFPs, but my first one went before I put a single modification on the car) Based solely on numbers my story is as valuable as the 1 guy who blew his turbos and had to pay.

and btw BMW doesn't VOID warranties. They Flag them.. when they are flagged the car has to be returned to its original state at the owners expense before the warranty can be reinstated. It is illegal to void the warranty. If you are reading this and your warranty has supposedly been voided send me a PM I will forward you to a lawyer who will help you get the compensation you deserve. It has also been a problem at BMW dealers that they tell their clients their warranty is "voided" when in fact they are flagged and they suck their clients dry by forcing them to pay for services that should otherwise be covered under warranty. All the while, knowing they can remove the flag when the car is returned to stock form. But I guess that would be bad business?
Appreciate 0