View Single Post
      09-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #20
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Right now is the perfect time to get into a trade, mainly because many of them are overlooked by high schools. When I graduated from high school in 2008, our counselors showed us all of the options including colleges, trade schools, starting a business, etc. I ended up going to college and getting a 4 year degree.

My younger sister graduated high school in 2016. Her counselors basically told her that everyone needs to go to a big name college and get at least a 4 year degree or higher to even get a job. Trades weren't even mentioned. This is why a lot of high school grads are going to college getting 4 year History degrees not knowing what they want to do.

A friend of mine went to a technical college program for IT work. He got a few certifications, and I think it was a 1.5 or 2 year program. He now makes $80,000 and works from home supporting IT for a healthcare company.

If I were to start over tomorrow I would go to a trade school and get some certifications for network communications. There is a big demand for network and infrastructure engineers.
Million times this.

lawyer, doctor, senior engineer then go to uni but otherwise, a complete waste right now IMHO.
Appreciate 0