View Single Post
      05-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #11
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Thanks guys!
Some answers to your Q's, a question back and an updated Clunk Status...

To PAX5: Yes the N63 campaign was done by the IL dealer I bought from, right before or after the prev owner traded it in. I have paperwork showing all work done and what was replaced (a decent list but not timing chain).
I assume the battery is original (it was NOT replaced for CPO certification). I will replace at first hint of erratic behavior (familiar with this with 2 other beemers).

I searched on "e70 stone chips..." and found nothing but this thread http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1107869
Is there another more relevant thread? Are you referring to the wheel well / fender extensions - specifically the *inside* of them?

Can you clarify what you mean by #3? Do you mean I should be happy with the air susp I have, or I missed out on the Adaptive Drive? Honestly it was such a rare option that I never saw one equipped how I needed that had AD.

On the low speed turbo drag, after more seat time (and seat time in a loaner 320i) it seems that its partly the turbo drag and partly the odd transmission behavior to not like to coast at very low speeds. It seems to be very "connected" when off-throttle in, say, a parking lot, very similar to driving a manual in first gear. Lots of engine drag. Not like how most auto trans decouple and coast. Just a personality trait I guess. Is there a way to initialize the tranny programming so it adapts to me better? or just wait a while?

Canonguy - I got a bit knocked off the asking price and paid $49.5k. Not cheap but I have to say this car is immaculate. I knew going in I needed CPO due to buying long distance and this would cost a bit more. I also factored in the low miles, the 4 brand new tires they installed and that the N63 campaign was done.

Moabite - hah yeah on the mpg... This is our second vehicle and my commute is 3 miles, so I have been trying to justify the low efficiency in my head. But - I beat the stated EPA mpg of 20 hwy by a full 1mpg on my trip home with it. And I was not dallying on the highway. I am running at a total combined 19.1mpg since I first sat in it (but that is with 2 big highway trips; it will fall steadily now I am sure).

Clunk Update...
After returning from vacation I brought it into the dealer to address the clunk in left front. They replaced a lower control arm, and it must not have solved it because they eventually found that the left front axle / nut thread interface was stripped(!). They mentioned that the engine must have come out for the N63 campaign work (really?) and the axle would have been removed at that time, and re-installed. The axle nut, once tightened, was then over-tightened stripping the final threads, so the nut had a bit of play on there.
I'm trying to find images of this so I can understand how that could create the solid clunking I was hearing, but they seem certain this is the cause. It's getting a new axle today, hopefully will get it back tonight or tomorrow. It will be easy to tell if its fixed as the clunk was very consistent when initiating right turns.
Once I get all the details on the final repair, I am considering calling the dealer I bought it from to let them know they F'd up. I can't imagine how much torque it would have taken to strip it. And this wasn't the easiest issue to diagnose.
I welcome any thoughts around this.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0