View Single Post
      04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #41
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
Samurai, my experience is with 19" Scorpions M+S. I had them for 2 winters, got them slightly used (75% tread at start) 'cause I bought a dealer manager's car.

First I had a lot of wear, esp on the front. I was repeatedly assured there was not an alignment problem, but I had it aligned anyways.

I also did not like the grip, plain and simple. A caveat: this is a really heavy pig of a vehicle, so I suppose I can't expect miracles. THAT said, I do prefer the Blizzak WM-25s that I put on this year somewhat to the Pirelli's. AND, I have traditionally driven much lighter vehicles in the past, with less "performance" oriented winter tires. I think that a performance winter tire is a bit of a compromise off the start - not as much of a compromise as an all-season but still a compromise.

I agree with your all-season comment and it is really location specific. I you live in Montreal or Toronto, I'd say winters are pretty much must haves. Out here in the west, where we get little precipitation, I'm not sure that 95% of the time I need anything other than all-seasons.

THAT said, all-seasons come in all sorts of flavours - some are more "summer" than winter, IMO.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you on the all seasons. I usually go with those because of the wide variety of seasonal changes we experience here in the nort east. i just could pass up the deal on the Scorions, lol. I plan on having them mounted on thrusday so I guess I will see for my self.

As for my current set up... I was planning on selling the wheels I have on her now, but taking in your words and experience has me leaning towards keeping them as a winter set. Thanks again. You probably just saved me $$$ and headaches come Nov-Dec time frame.

Sorry to go off topic, OP.... BTW, you are gonna love the X6.