04-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #40
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Please share your experience with the Pirelli Scorpions. I recently bought a set this past weekend, (couldn't pass up the deal) but i haven't had them mounted yet. Any feedback with experience(good or Bad) with these tires would be highly appreciated.
Samurai, my experience is with 19" Scorpions M+S. I had them for 2 winters, got them slightly used (75% tread at start) 'cause I bought a dealer manager's car.

First I had a lot of wear, esp on the front. I was repeatedly assured there was not an alignment problem, but I had it aligned anyways.

I also did not like the grip, plain and simple. A caveat: this is a really heavy pig of a vehicle, so I suppose I can't expect miracles. THAT said, I do prefer the Blizzak WM-25s that I put on this year somewhat to the Pirelli's. AND, I have traditionally driven much lighter vehicles in the past, with less "performance" oriented winter tires. I think that a performance winter tire is a bit of a compromise off the start - not as much of a compromise as an all-season but still a compromise.

I agree with your all-season comment and it is really location specific. I you live in Montreal or Toronto, I'd say winters are pretty much must haves. Out here in the west, where we get little precipitation, I'm not sure that 95% of the time I need anything other than all-seasons.

THAT said, all-seasons come in all sorts of flavours - some are more "summer" than winter, IMO.
Appreciate 0