View Single Post
      04-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
Dale I have looked at this issue a zillion times. I'm sure I've posted about it on this forum too. Talked to Tire Rack guys. Also I've addressed the tracking issue (rear tires wider track than front ones).

My conclusions:

1. I have 19" winter tires, all same size. They provide a bit more leeway in hard snow and ice ruts, where the sidewall will flex. The higher sidewall provides more give to avoid rim damage and also some more comfort (you get tossed around less).

2. If you have a lot of snow and ice conditions, the 19" tires make sense to me. Here in Alberta, we get some snow but really not much - our roads are bone dry most of the time. I'm not sure I'd do the 19" tires next time.

3. The tracking issue is, to my mind, not a big deal for most people. However, the wider a tire, the less performance on snow and probably ice (if you can get any performance on ice) - the weight of the car is distributed over a smaller surface area and therefore "bites" more. I think if you look at rally cars, they tend to have skinny tires on gravel, sand and snow courses.

4. If ice is a serious problem and it is legal where you live, there is no comparison to studded tires. Absolutely the best thing out there. Had some for 4 years (not on an X6) and it was like driving on rails in the winter.

5. All-season tires are a poor choice for winter. A compromise at best, a safety hazard at worst. Esp for the X6.

6. Run flat for me is important for the X6 for several reasons. Primarily, I like the slight additional stiffness - BMW engineered the vehicle with that kind of tire stiffness in mind. Also for safety - if I'm in the middle of nowhere and without a spare...

6. Ultimately, the most critical choice is the model of tire. There are not many choices for us. I hated the Pirelli Scorpions. The Bridgestone Blizzak WM-25s are OK. Some of the issue may just be that I was used to driving lighter vehicles - the X6 is a fat pig and you can't expect miracles out of the tires. My wife's 335i xdrive is awesome on her winter Michelins.
Please share your experience with the Pirelli Scorpions. I recently bought a set this past weekend, (couldn't pass up the deal) but i haven't had them mounted yet. Any feedback with experience(good or Bad) with these tires would be highly appreciated.

In regards to the all season tires, I have always put after market wheels on every car I had. Currently, I have been driving a 2009 X6 for over three years now. I put aftermarket 22" wheels with all season Nexxen tires on the X6 years back when I had the car for barely a month. I am in Queens NY. I know we haven't seen any really harsh winters in the past few years, but I can say I have been quite satisfied with the capabilities of the all season tire I have been riding on for years... and I just hit 31000 miles this month and the are still running strong. I ride these wheels all year round.