View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
sizelove
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

My 2009 x6 CIC retrofit - from Patryk

I finally had some time to complete a write up regarding the CIC retrofit I did recently in my 2009 x6. When I bought the car the only thing it did not have was the new iDrive setup and I really wanted it. Running across the many posts regarding this change it made me happy to know this could be done. It took me a few months to decide to do it and I am glad I did. The one thing that I thought was abundantly clear was the sensible move to purchase everything from Patryk. Search for his name and you will find many positive posts regarding his work and service - after working with and talking with him I can honestly say all those posts are totally accurate. Patryk is a great guy to work with. I had a few questions along the way and he was very, very quick to respond to me and talk me through everything. We simply used Skype to talk and/or text. It worked flawlessly.

For my retrofit I went all in. I purchased the following:
- CIC (updated to the latest software version, ready for the Combox and the ConnectedDrive)
- CID (screen)
- USB port
- USB cable
- Video cable
- Screen connector
- iDrive controller + trim
- CIC trim
- Navigation and Voice Control activation (aftermarket module)
- full coding of the CIC
- Backup camera and PDC fix module
- 2011 map
- DVD-in-motion (aftermarket module)
Additional options:
- Combox Media kit - (Office menu, Bluetooth audio, Album art cover, Internet, etc.)
- Option 6NR ConnectedDrive
- Coding to fold mirrors from key fob
- Coding to roll up windows from key fob
- Coding to close trunk from key fob
- Coding to show digital speed in cluster

The entire swap out took me a full day. I went slow taking notes and pictures along the way. I didn't hesitate to contact Patryk with any questions I had. He basically walks you through all the gear and what to do before you start so you have a great understanding of what you will be doing.

To me the interesting thing is that you really do not alter much of the existing wiring. You will have to adjust the wires for the screen plug, a couple wires in the back of the CIC connector and add in a couple wires from the arm rest iPod connector to the CIC plug. Then in the back of the car move a few wires for the combox. Overall a very easy job, just take some time to make sure you have the proper wiring - which has to be hard to confuse unless you completely ignore Patryk!!

Below are some pictures of my process and when it was all done. If you are thinking of doing this swap out, you owe it to yourself to talk to Patryk. I admit being nervous spending a chunk of money, wiring it to a guy in Poland I didn't know, etc. But, I couldn't have asked for a smoother process looking back!

Thanks for the gear and all your hard work on these kits Patryk!!

** I realize the dates in the pictures seem out of order. I originally installed all back in August and just removed and replaced with the original gear this past weekend (quick decision but I am trading in the x6 and couldn't see letting the new stuff go with it for free).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0